002 - The Tarot Cards - Benita French
Student notes from the 8 week Spiritual Development Course conducted by Benita Perera
Week Two Study Subject: Tarot
Week Two Meditation and Healing Work: Gratitude
- Feel grateful for the things in your life
- Feel grateful for your car, house, your functioning senses, pets, people in your life,garden, suburb, country.
- When you’re in a state of gratefulness, you attract what you want faster.
- Gratefulness will change your energy vibration.
Affirmations for healing and abundance consciousness
- I am a kind person.
- I feel happiness.
- I feel strength.
- I see the truth.
- I have integrity.
- I am prosperous.
- I am adventurous.
- I believe in myself.
- I trust myself.
- I am evolving.
- I am reliable and so are others around me.
- I am enthusiastic.
- I am healing.
- I feel free.
- I am stable.
- I feel joy.
- I feel focused.
- I am efficient.
- I am loving.
- I am loved.
- I am abundant in all areas of my life.
- Riches and wealth are mine now and always.
- I am always surrounded by my angels and guides now and always.
- The more responsibility you take, the more your life improves and the more strength you build for yourself.
- Taking responsibility gives you power because everything you create is your responsibility.
- Affirmation for responsibility:
“I am responsible for my life, for my feelings and for every result I get”. (Bob Proctor.)
- After you say the Responsibility Affirmation, breathe in through nose, out through mouth. Say the affirmation again, breathe and keep going like that for a minute.
VISUALISING YOUR IDEAL LIFE (EXCERSISE)
Each person thinks of what they must have and experience in their life and then the class focuses on one person at a time, and sends them brilliant white and or gold and or rainbow light to the central person.
- What you must have and what you must experience, see it!
- See yourself doing it or going there.
- Feel the feeling of having it.
WEEK TWO STUDY SUBJECT – TAROT
THE RIDER WAITE DECK
- The most informative deck.
- With Tarot cards you are consulting yourself, your wisdom, you are not consulting your mind.
- You are accessing your intuition by using the Tarot, your intuition is not part of your problems.
- Divination means to gain insight into… whatever it is.
- The Tarot is there to help you understand yourself and your situation, rather than give you a yes and no answer.
- Questions to ask when you want insight into your situation:
- What could I be doing wrong?
- I want to understand how I feel?
- I want to understand how the other person feels?
- How can I make the best decision?
- What can I be more aware of?
- Having an interest in divination opens up a world of answers through an enquiring mind, rather than being interested in a yes or no answer, which tends to close the world of potential answers.
FORTUNE TELLING QUESTIONS
- The predictive quality Tarot cards can have, can mean that they can be used for so-called Fortune Telling.
- Fortune telling questions are generally questions that have yes or no answers:
- Will I meet a person? Will I travel? Will I change my work? Is money coming to me?
- When a person comes to me with an interest in yes or no answers, they close their energy and obvious cards in their spread do not talk to me.
- The person coming for the reading, their energy will open or close the card being read.
GETTING A TAROT READING
- Don’t have readings in these states:
- Do have readings in these states:
…or as close to these states as possible
…or do activities that will help you get into these states.
Tarot can be linked with the “occult.” The Occult is hidden, deep, secret wisdom.
The Tarot will and won’t give you the answers you seek. If you truly want to know about something or somebody, the cards will show you. If you deeply (maybe unconsciously) don’t want to know about something or somebody (even though on the surface you think you want to know), the Tarot won’t show you, because you deeply don’t want to know.
GIVING A TAROT READING
Why do happy cards come out when the person is going through a hard time?
- To give them hope.
- To show the person that they want to make out that all is fine when it’s really not.
Small details can stand out about the card which may be the whole point of the
reading. What you notice can be just as important as what is there.
Children can give really good readings without any prior knowledge of the card meanings. The images tell a story.
Not all the knowledge of the Tarot comes from books, most will come from your experience.
A system for consulting a certain number of cards for a reading
- No set rule for how many cards you “should” pull out from the deck.
- I suggest to use between 1 and 5 cards.
- There is enough in 5 cards to show you most of what’s going on.
Number of cards in the Rider Waite Tarot deck
- 78 cards altogether.
- 22 Major Arcana cards
- 56 cards minor aracan cards, consisting of suits: cups, pentacles, wands and swords.
Suit meanings and appearances:
- Cups: feelings and emotions; blonde hair, blue eyes, fair skin, the lighter end of lighter features.
- Pentacles: money and values; black hair, black eyes, dark skin, the darker end of the darker features.
- Swords: decisions and cutting off the old; lighter end of the darker features like brown hair and brown eyes, or tan skin.
- Wands: talents and skills and projects: the darker end of fair features like light brown hair, orange hair, dark grey or green eyes, freckles.
- Page: younger person; thought stage, no action yet eg. looking for a house.
- Knight: adult; action stage eg. Drive to see the house, applied for the house.
- King/ Queen: mature adult; a higher level of expertise or sense of being established.
Cards read in context
- The Death card with the Two of Swords card, can cause the person to be anxious and confused about the change that is coming.
- The Death card with the Ace of Pentacles card, can cause the person to feel more welcoming of the change that is coming.
The Tarot represents you…
- Everything that each card represents is in you.
- The Tarot is your life and feelings and thoughts, in representation.
Length of time to have a Tarot deck
- Having a deck of cards for many years, could mean you need to buy a new deck and replace the old deck.
- Old cards have your old energy on them.
Different decks, same meaning for the cards with the same name?
- You may have a tarot deck that isn’t the Rider Waite deck, but aspects of the pictures from the Rider Waite deck will be similar in your non Rider Waite deck.
- The meaning of the ten of cups card (for example) in the non Rider Waite deck, can be obtained from the meaning of the ten of cups from the Rider Waite deck.
Definitions of the cards from the Major Arcana
- 0 Fool– Brand new start, no template, no familiarity.
- 1 Magician– Having all the necessary tools to do things in your life.
- 2 High Priestess– Emotionally cool, psychically active.
- 3 Empress– Creative, fertile, beautiful energy.
- 4 Emperor– Focus, boundaries, getting down to business.
- 5 Hierophant– Structures in society, systems versus inner way.
- 6 Lovers– Relationship also represents choice.
- 7 Chariot– Difficulty controlling feelings. Force versus flow.
- 8 Strength– Speaking out versus holding in.
- 9 Hermit– Wisdom and overseeing from a distance.
- 10 Wheel of Fortune– Cycles and huge changes even if you can’t actively feel them.
- 11 Justice– Assessing the past for a better future.
- 12 Hanged Man– Looking at life from a different perspective.
- 13 Death– Enormous inner and outer transition. Occasionally can mean a death.
- 14 Temperance– deliberate healing and emotional balancing.
- 15 Devil– the senses and the visible, overcoming better judgement and possibilities.
- 16 Tower– a sudden change of circumstances as a result of truth told or realised.
- 17 Star– blessings, healing, the recycling of negative energy into positive energy.
- 18 Moon– patterns which are active in your life that need addressing.
- 19 Sun– New beginnings here now having just emerged from challenging times.
- 20 Judgement– Coming into awareness as a result of having previously been ‘asleep’.
- 21 World– Completion, balance, all that can and will exist.
Recommended Tarot Books:
- ‘The Tarot Revealed’ by Paul Fenton-Smith
- ‘Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom A Book of Tarot’ by Rachel Pollack
- ‘Numerology and The Divine Triangle’ by Faith Javane and Dusty Bunker